skip main site navigation go to current site section navigation

Visa Information - London

U.S. citizen traveling to London

U.S. citizens traveling to London will require a “Visiting Student Visa”. You get this at the U.K. airport and there is no formal application process. You will need to bring the following items with you when you go through immigration:

  • Your offer letter from the London School of Economics (provided to you at the Pre-Departure Orientation) 
  •  Financial evidence such as bank statements which demonstrate how you will pay for your studies/living costs
  • Evidence that you intend to return to your home country, such as:
    • A return air ticket 
    • A letter from your home University or employer stating that you are required to return (we can provide this letter if requested)

The immigration officer will stamp your passport and write the letters “S.V.” (or similar) next to the entry stamp.

Other nationality traveling to London

Depending on your nationality, you may or may not require a visa. Please visit the U.K. Border Agency Home Office to check requirements for your specific nationality.

It is your responsibility to research specific requirements for your nationality, and to apply for your visa. If you request, we will provide additional program related documentation to support your visa application like:

  • a letter which describes the nature of the program
  • enrollment status at UT
  • housing
  • insurance coverage.

We also encourage you to request an official student enrollment status from the UT Registrar Office. Also, you must notify the UT International Office of your travel plans to avoid experiencing problems with re-entry to the United States.