IES London – Affiliated Semester Program
Spend the Fall or Spring in London taking business and non-business courses that count toward your degree requirements.
Participants in the IES London “Study London” program can choose from a variety of interesting and enriching courses in finance, international business, marketing, management, and also history, film, government, and more. Students take classes taught at the IES Center and can also choose classes from a local university, like City University, London.
Students may also complete an unpaid internship in London and, if you still need the B A 353 internship class, it is pre-approved to satisfy that requirement.
London is an amazing city for a college student regardless of your interest - it is host to many cultural festivals throughout the year. London has a rich history and is home to about 9 million people. The goal of this program is to help you explore contemporary London and gain a deeper knowledge of British culture, including the central importance of history to the British. Explore the global impact of Britain on Western culture, including art, literature, and financial and political systems. It is well-connected by plane, train, boat, and bus to the rest of Europe, which makes traveling to other destinations incredibly easy.
- Academic Term: Fall or Spring
- Program Dates: Fall 2022: September 6- December 22, Spring 2023: January 10 - April 22
- Credits: 15 credit hours
- Eligibility: BBA students w/ min. 3.0 GPA, Completion of ECO 304K + L, Calculus, ACC 311, DS 235 + STA 235 is required prior to departure. ACC 312 is recommended.
- Prerequisites: Course Dependent
- Program Code: 220007
*Did a program coordinator give you access to this application? You can open it here!
Read the application tab below for more info. Final deadline for spring 2023, including both the brief UT Austin MyAbroad portal application and the IES application, is September 29, 2022.
About the Program
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
- Our BBA program with IES in London is only available during the fall or spring and is not available during the summer.
- Undergraduates from the McCombs School of Business, at least 18 years of age, and in good academic standing at UT with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Completion of both ECO 304K + L, Calculus, ACC 311, DS 235 + STA 235 is required prior to departure. Completion of ACC 312 prior to departure is recommended.
- Sophomore (spring semester only), junior, or senior standing when program begins. Some courses at local universities may not be open to sophomores. Please contact an IES Abroad Representative for details.
- Students can only participate in this program if it is offered in person. Virtual options are not permitted for UT Austin students.
UT Austin does not require students to be vaccinated for COVID-19 to participate in study abroad programs.
However, our international partners and/or the country (ies) you are entering may have their own policies and laws surrounding vaccination to which you could be required to adhere. BBA International Programs strongly recommends that students who wish to participate in a study abroad program get vaccinated.
Learn more about the course options on the IES website.
- Many of the courses at the site above have been evaluated by UT faculty and are in the My Credit Abroad database. If you interested in an IES London course that is not in this database, you need to send us the syllabus (in English) from the IES website, and we will have it evaluated.
- Not every course listed in the My Credit Abroad database will be offered during your semester abroad.
- Students are required to take one Area Studies class during the semester for which you will most likely get 3 hours of upper division non business elective credit. Beyond that, you can take all of your classes with IES or some with IES and one at a local university. Learn more at the IES website.
- After IES sends us your transcript after the semester abroad ends, you will work with the BBA IP office to transfer your courses back to UT. You will receive transfer credit and the credit can count toward your degree requirements. The grades will appear on your UT transcript but will not factor into your UT GPA.
- In your meeting with a BBA International Programs coordinator in McCombs, you will discuss which of your degree requirements you could satisfy on this program.
You can start the application after you meet with us.
IES APPLICATION PROCESS
- After you attend an Info Session, you must first meet with a study abroad program coordinator in the BBA Program Office in order to access UT’s MyAbroad portal application. You may make a virtual appointment here. After this meeting, you will be given access to the application and detailed next steps. Make sure you use application code 290007 and select either Jasmine Bisheh or Josh Rucker as your study abroad advisor.
- The application deadline for both the UT application and the IES London application is September 29 at 5PM. Meeting the eligibility requirements doesn’t guarantee admission to program.
- Prior to your meeting with a study abroad program coordinator, you should think about your goals and research the IES London "Study London" site.
- Before you apply and after you meet with BBA International Programs Coordinator, it is a good idea to check in with your academic advisor to inform them of your plans to study abroad on this program.
- Once you have submitted your application to UT, you will then need to submit a separate application to IES. This is also due by the September 29 deadline.
- You will hear from both the McCombs BBA Office and IES about your admission to the program or if something else is needed for your application.
- After being admitted, you will learn about various required forms, meetings, and resources from both IES and UT.
- Congratulations on your decision to apply to study abroad!
Fees and Tuition
Student pays to UT Austin:
Application Fee: $75
Affiliated Studies Fee: $600
Required International Health Insurance: $19/week (~$300)
Student pays to IES:
IES Program Fee: ~$19,500 (Includes courses, housing, and much more). Students from state universities like UT Austin will receive an automatic $2,000 scholarship.
The IES London costs webpage has more details about the costs, what the program fee includes and estimated additional expenses. You can also find more information there about IES scholarships. Click on the total to see itemized costs for fall 2022. Future programs will be similar but the costs may increase a little.
Housing and Transportation
HOUSING AND TRANSPORTATION
Residence Hall - You will share a flat with five other IES Abroad students in a residence hall. Your room is single occupancy with a bed, desk, storage, and bathroom. There is a shared kitchen available to you and your flat mates. Washing machines and dryers are available. No meals are provided for this housing option. IES Abroad Housing may vary according to term and availability.
Participants will book their own flights to and from London and will arrange their own transportation from the airport to their housing
Visa and Passport Information
VISA AND PASSPORT INFORMATION
Passports must be valid for at least 6 months after the end of the study abroad trip. Texas Global Passport Services can process passport applications.
Due to COVID-19, U.S. passports are taking an exceptionally long time to be processed. If you are even considering a study abroad program and you do not have a passport (or your passport will expire within 6 months of the end of your program), you should apply for one now.
Unless you hold citizenship with the UK, students going to England for a semester will likely need to obtain a student visa through the appropriate UK consulate in the US.
It is possible to apply for this directly on your own, but IES can also provide assistance for a small fee. In our experience, it is worth the cost, as the visa process can be complicated. You will learn more about this after being admitted to the program.