London School of Economics – Affiliated Summer Program
Spend the summer in London taking business courses at the prestigious London School of Economics.
Participants have the opportunity choose a selection of classes from the LSE catalog, including thought-provoking classes in finance, economics and government on their downtown, urban campus.
Only a short distance from Europe's financial, legal and cultural centers, LSE stands at the crossroads of international debate, fundamental to their identity as an outward looking institution with an active involvement in U.K. and world affairs. Founded in 1895, the university is known for its excellence in quality, high-caliber faculty and Nobel Prize winners. London School of Economics is consistently awarded high international rankings and continues to grow in regard around the world.
Students will also have the opportunity to experience London's world-class museums, theater and dining. Famous landmarks and institutions include Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, The British Museum, The National Gallery, Tower Bridge, the London Eye, and West End.
Answers to frequently asked questions are available on LSE's FAQ page.
***Special LSE Info Session w/ representative from LSE: Thursday, Setpember 22 from 4-5pm in CBA 5.142A or on Zoom.***
- Academic Term: Summer Whole
- 2022 Program Dates: Session 1: June 20-July 8, Session 2: July 11-29, Session 3: August 1-19*
- Credits: Varies
- Eligibility: BBA students w/ min. 3.3 GPA. GPAs below 3.3 considered on a case-by-case basis
- Prerequisites: Course Dependent
- Program Code: 290110
*2023 program dates will be published when they are available
**Did a program coordinator give you access to this application? You can open it here!
Read the application tab below for more info. Apps due Feb 1.
About the Program
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The program will be open to BBA students (business majors only) with a minimum 3.30 GPA who have the required pre-requisites. Students with less than a 3.30 GPA will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants (including freshman applicants with a 0.0 GPA) will be re-assessed for final acceptance after fall semester grades are posted.
UT Austin does not require students to be vaccinated for COVID-19 to participate in study abroad programs.
However, our international partners and/or the country (ies) you are entering may have their own policies and laws surrounding vaccination to which you could be required to adhere. BBA International Programs strongly recommends that students who wish to participate in a study abroad program get vaccinated.
- Students will choose their own courses from the LSE Summer Course Catalog. Remember to check and to see if you have the required pre-requisites. You must receive a passing grade in any pre-req courses by the end of the spring semester. No pre-req exceptions can be made.
- Course equivalences must be approved by UT and will be published in the My Credit Abroad database. If you wish to have an LSE course evaluated for credit that is not already listed in the MyCA database, please contact our office with the syllabus. Be sure and check to make sure the credit you are seeking has not already been denied by the department.
- Not every course listed in the My Credit Abroad database will be offered during all 3 LSE sessions. Cross-check the MyCA database with the LSE Summer Course Catalog to see during which session each course will be offered.
- Canfield Business Honors Program students can individually petition for honors credit for core courses taken at LSE. Contact your CBHP advisor for more information.
- LSE summer courses are generally equivalent to 3 or 4 UT credit hours. Note: Students enrolled in less than 6 summer credit hours (i.e. less than 2 LSE sessions) will be ineligible for financial aid. Contact Texas One Stop for more information.
LSE offers 3 summer sessions and classes are usually held M-F. Students can only enroll in one course per session and may take up to 3 sessions.
Session 1: June 20-July 8, 2022
Session 2: July 11-29 2022
Session 3: August 1-19, 2022
*2023 schedule will be posted when it becomes available
Note that in order to transfer credit back to UT, students must participate in a program with an in-person component. LSE's 100% online format is not permitted for UT students.
Questions about this program? Contact Taylor Malcolm.
LSE APPLICATION PROCESS
- In order to access the application, you must first meet with a study abroad program coordinator. You may make a virtual appointment here. After this meeting, you will be given access to the application and detailed next steps. Make sure you use application code 290110 - this code is reserved for business majors only. The application deadline is February 1.
- Before setting up an appointment, we highly recommend attending an info session.
- Prior to your meeting with a study abroad program coordinator, you should think about your goals, start some basic research on LSE's website (including their FAQ page) and explore the My Credit Abroad Database page for LSE and any required pre-requisites.
- After meeting with a study abroad advisor, you may also choose to make an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss how LSE's course options best fit into your degree plan.
- Once you have submitted your application to UT, you will then need to submit a separate application to LSE. Their application opens around early January.
Questions about the application process? Email Taylor Malcolm.
Fees and Tuition
FEES AND TUITION
2022 FEES AND TUITION*
|Number of Sessions||2022 LSE Tuition (in GBP)||Total Estimated Costs|
|One Session (1 Course)||£2,600**||View One Session Cost|
|Two Sessions (2 Courses)||£4,400**||View Two Session Costs|
|Three Sessions (3 Courses)||£5,100**||View Three Session Costs|
- *Visit the LSE fees page for details. 2023 fees will be posted when they become available
- **UT Austin students receive a 10% discount on these rates by using the code TEX23 when submitting their application to LSE.
- In order to be eligible for financial aid, students must enroll in at least 2 LSE summer sessions. For estimated total costs for TWO SESSIONS, including flights, meals, etc., view a sample LSE budget.
- For information on scholarships and financial aid, please visit our funding page.
Housing and Transportation
HOUSING AND TRANSPORTATION
Participants will find their own housing.
Students can book accommodation in LSE's Halls of Residence after they’ve been accepted to LSE. Room rates can be found on the LSE Summer School accommodation page. However, students are not required to use LSE's residences and may choose to live off campus.
Participants will book their own flights to and from London and will arrange their own transportation from the airport to their housing.
Visa and Passport Information
VISA AND PASSPORT INFORMATION
Passports must be valid for at least 6 months after the end of the study abroad trip. Texas Global Passport Services can process passport applications.
Due to COVID-19, U.S. passports are taking an exceptionally long time to be processed. If you are even considering a study abroad program and you do not have a passport (or your passport will expire within 6 months of the end of your program), you should apply for one now.
U.S. CITIZENS TRAVELING TO LONDON
U.S. citizens traveling to London will not require a visa to study in the United Kingdom for less than 6 months.
OTHER NATIONALITIES TRAVELING TO LONDON
Depending on nationality, non-US citizens may or may not require a visa. Please visit the U.K. Border Agency Home Office website to view requirements for each nationality.
It is the student’s responsibility to research specific requirements for their nationality, and to apply for their visa, if necessary. At the student’s request, we will provide additional program-related documentation to support their visa application, such as an official letter, enrollment status at UT, housing and insurance coverage. Students are also encouraged to request formal documentation of student enrollment status from the UT Registrar's Office and are required to notify Texas Global of their travel plans.