Graduation in-absentia refers to graduation during a semester when a student is not enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin. Students must have COMPLETED ALL degree requirements in order to register in-absentia.
CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
- Must have been in a business major and enrolled in the McCombs School of Business at the time he or she left the University of Texas at Austin.
- Cannot already have a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from the University of Texas at Austin.
- Must have completed ALL requirements for graduation by the in-absentia deadline.
- May not be enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin in residence the semester planned for graduation.
Students Who Meet the Above Criteria Should:
- Know the deadline to apply to graduate for the semester in which you plan to graduate. This information is listed every semester in the Academic Calendar. The application period begins after the 12th class day and ends the last class day during the fall and spring semesters. The summer application begins after the 4th class day of the first summer session and ends the last class day of the second summer session.
- Clear any bars on your record. Registration in-absentia cannot occur until all financial bars have been cleared. Call Student Accounts Receivable at (512) 471-7777 to find out information about your financial bars. You may clear financial bars by accessing UT Direct.
- Transfer work – it is your responsibility to submit any transcripts from other institutions to the Office of Admissions. There are two ways to do this. We suggest that you have the other institution send a transcript directly to UT Austin's Office of Admissions. The transcript can be sent either electronically or through postal mail. The other option is to hand deliver the other institution's transcript to the Office of Admissions with a note stating that you are a graduating senior. You should complete either of these at least one month prior to the deadline to apply to graduate AND follow-up to make sure that your transcript has been received.
Transfer work must be on your official UT record by the deadline date.
- U.T. online Extension work – it is your responsibility to take the final exam at least 2 weeks prior to the deadline to apply to graduate. This is necessary to ensure that a final grade is posted by the deadline.
- Placement work – it is your responsibility to take the exam and petition for credit before the deadline to petition for that semester. Student Testing Services, (512) 232-2662, can give you information about test dates and petition deadlines. You must have placement credit on your UT official record by the deadline to apply to graduate.
You are able to apply to graduate in-absentia via e-mail. It is your responsibility to send an e-mail which includes your UTEID, business major (& minor), current address, current phone number, email address (optional), and a statement requesting to apply to graduate in-absentia for the semester before the deadline date to our graduation certification manager at BBACertification@mccombs.utexas.edu.
After receiving your e-mail, we will review your graduation status and will contact you with further instructions and/or the necessary forms to apply. PLEASE, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE DEADLINE DATE TO DO THIS—IT WILL BE TOO LATE SINCE ALL FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED IN THE OFFICE BY THE DEADLINE DATE.
For additional questions, you can also email BBAAcademicAdvisor@mccombs.utexas.edu or call (512) 471-0690.
Diploma and Commencement
Diploma & Commencement
If all requirements are met by the prescribed deadlines, you will receive graduation information from the Registrar’s Office. Therefore, it is important to update your local and permanent addresses on the university system. Your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address on file with the university. You are eligible to attend any graduation ceremony offered that semester and will receive a diploma approximately six weeks after the ceremony.